Recently I attended the Word of Mouth Crash Course which focused on the importance of word of mouth and how to be great at word of mouth marketing.
At SchoolAdmin, our goal is to build the best software for admissions and enrollment that can help school admissions teams build relationships with students, parents, and alumni.
Word of Mouth can be a very helpful tool to build those relationships. My previous post, Word of Mouth Marketing for Schools: Lesson 1, focused on how schools can build an ‘army of fans’. In this post, I’ll share what I learned from the WOM course and how schools can apply that in their marketing plan.
What is Word of Mouth Marketing + How Do I Do It Successfully
“A company’s (school’s) everyday personality is, was, and will be its best form of marketing.“
Word of mouth marketing is about making emotional connections with your customers. For schools, that means students, parents, alumni faculty, staff and prospects. For school word of mouth marketing to happen successfully, two things must occur:
1. Someone must talk
People talk because they have something interesting or valuable to share – it makes them feel important. For schools, these talkers could be the current students, parents, teachers, etc. who love to talk about how amazing your school is. They become your trusted ambassadors.
2. Someone must listen
People listen because they trust the person who is talking and are interested in what they have to say. The prospective students and parents who are interested to know more about your school want to listen and learn as much information as they can from the people they trust would provide accurate information.
- BE UNIQUE – It is not about how big your idea is. It’s about how interesting your idea is. What makes your school shine above others?
- TELL STORIES – We all love a good story. People are hungry for more information, but they want it to be interesting. Give them that information in the form of a story to capture their attention.
- IMPROVE A LIFE – Show how your school is improving the life of your students by empowering them to be successful.
- RIGHT A WRONG – Talk about how your school believes in a balance between classroom and extracurricular activities (in comparison with your competitors).
- MAKE “good” BETTER – Encourage your students to be leaders and innovators.
Always remember, “A company’s (school’s) everyday personality is, was, and will be its best form of marketing.“
Comprehensive Guide to the 5 Essentials of Virtual Admissions
Learn how to master the essential pieces of running a successful virtual admissions process at your independent or private school.
August 10, 2020 | 13 min read
New Ebook: Refreshing Your Enrollment Journey For Your Most Successful Year Yet
July 16, 2020 | 2 min read
Announcing the SchoolAdmin Enrollment Management Maturity Model
April 13, 2020 | 3 min read